Monday, February 27, 2017

The World of Hoyas: A Pictoral Guide (book)

Introduction:

    The ob
jective of this book is to provide a good basic understanding of the Genus Hoya. Interest in hoyas has continued to expand over the years. The art of growing and caring for hoyas is not necessarily more mysterious than growing any other plant, but what is presented here may make it easier and more enjoyable for you. This book “A Pictorial Guide to Hoyas” is a presentation of over 100 hoya species in color along with actual leaf photocopies and descriptions.

    When I see a picture of a new hoya flower my first thoughts after studying it carefully is, I wonder what the foliage of that plant looks like. What I did to try and solve this dilemma for others was to haul my potted hoya plants into the house and spread out the ends of the vine or branches on my copy machine. This at least gave me a black and white copy of the actual foliage, size and all. Even the venation showed up fairly well. I eventually cut these copies to fit in a bordered frame.

    I'm sure you have heard "a picture is worth a thousand words", so colored pictures were added on top of the foliage photocopies. Even if they are only worth one hundred words they reveal much. In combination they seem to fit the bill of curiosity. I must add here my deep appreciation for the excellent flower photography of Ann Wayman, editor of FRATERNA the official publication of the International Hoya Association. Ann is a superb flower photographer and captures the essence and detail of hoya flowers with remarkable clarity.  Remember, in order to photograph hoya flowers, as Ann has, you must first be a quality grower, capable to bring even difficult species into flower. Ann has accomplished this with possibly every hoya species we now have in our collections.

    I have used many of her pictures in this book’s "pictorial" section. I have also used a few of the pictures by Ted Green of Green Plant Research, Hawaii. Ted has some of the newest "finds" in hoya species as a result of his extensive collecting and studying trips. Finally I have used some of my own photos. I continually try to improve my photography of hoya flowers but I certainly lag behind my two friends.
In the past I have studied and collected hoya species in their native habitats in Western and American Samoa; Guadalcanal, Solomon Islands; N. Australia; Bali, Java, Central and southern Sulawesi, Indonesia (Celebes); Singapore; Malaysia, Sarawak Borneo including Mt. Kinabalu, Malaysia. Most of my studies have centered around the Philippines, on Mt. Miquiling, the Legaspi area of Luzon including Mt. Mayon, Mt. Bulusan and the Irosine area. On both coasts of the central portion of Palawan Island, Cebu, the Suragao and Davao area of Mindanao including Mt. Apo. One trip was made to the island of Ponapae, Micronesia. I also looked for hoyas and only found dischidias (the hoya cousins) on Guam & Yap.

    In World War II, I spent time on Fiji Islands, the New Hebrides (Vanuatu), New Caledonia, many of the Solomon Islands including Guadalcanal, Bougainville, Russell’s, Treasury and others. At that time hoyas were only of fleeting interest, but I did learn a lot about the ecology of the areas visited.

    Finally I have tried to present some of the pertinent cultural and growing requirements for hoyas. Presented here are only a few of the many fine hoya species available at the present time to growers of these beautiful "wax plants". 

 First addition published fall 1999 By Hill-n'-dale Publishing Fresno, California, USA

Five Files:
Volume 1:  CLICK HERE

Volume 2:  CLICK HERE

Volume 3:  CLICK HERE

Volume 4:  CLICK HERE

Volume 5:  CLICK HERE

  

No comments:

Post a Comment